My Latest Goof

In our home the one that is responsible for paying the bills is my husband for obvious reasons.  The cell phone bill, however, is under my name.  Whenever the payment is late I am the one that receives a text to my cell phone saying that if we don't pay we will get disconnected.  I always call my husband, and he eventually takes care of it.  Last week, I received one of those texts and asked him if he wanted me to take care of it since last time we got charged a reconnection fee, and I knew that being at work he wouldn't be able to take care of it. 

I was feeling good that I was able to help him with thi,s and that it would be one less thing he would have to worry about.  I went online, looked up the bill and selected "pay now."  Of course, they ask if you want to pay the entire balance or just the past due balance.  I chose to pay the past due balance.  Everything was ok so far.  I chose my payment method, reviewed, and confirmed...oops!  As the screen was changing I realized that the payment was processed for the ENTIRE amount!  At some point it must have asked me again the amount I wanted to pay.  A detail I would have noticed if my brained would have slowed down long enough for me to have carefully reviewed the payment before confirming it.  My heart skipped a beat. We were now out almost $480!  Now what?!?!?  I couldn't believe it.  I had done it again.  All I could think of was my husband's reaction. 

I picked up the phone and called customer service.  The good news was they could refund the difference.  The bad news was it would take 4 business days and it was Thursday which meant it would actually be six days.  I told my husband what had happened when he came home.  He was clearly worried, but I explained to him that I had taken care of it and that the money would be back in our account soon. 

Luckily, this goof up has a happy ending.  I called our cell phone carrier today to check on the status of the refund, and they told me that it had been credited to our account.  I checked and the money has been there since Tuesday.  Thank God! With that resolved, I can breath easier.  I know I have to slow down and read everything more carefully, but sometimes I get over confident or I just run on automatic. 

Like just now.  I am defrosting some chicken breast for dinner.  The microwave beeped to turn it over.  I went through the whole process of reaching into the microwave, flipping them, closing the microwave and washing my hands while talking to my husband.  I then realized I hadn't turned the microwave back on.  I can't remember the actual action of flipping it though.  The only reason I know I did it is because I washed my hands so I must have touched it.  It's an awful feeling to know that I did something but can't remember it. 

Anyway, my goof up was resolved; and if I don't burn dinner tonight, it will be a good day.

13 comments:

Design It Chic March 25, 2011 at 5:14 AM  

Good thing you could get your money back. You shouldn't beat yourself over this little goof though.. it could happen to anyone:) Oh and I just discovered your blog and I'm glad I did. I am now following you thanks to Social Parade Follow on Friday, and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday, where you can meet lots of friends and have a great time:) See you there!
Happy Friday

Mika March 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM  

Wow! Scary! I'm glad you got it resolved!
I'm following from the blog hop.
I'd love a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Mika

ChinaDoll March 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM  

Good thing you were able to resolve it immediately...I guess all of us have a fair share of goofiness hihihi...

♥hugs and be safe♥
chinadoll

Unknown March 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM  

I am the same way- I HATE living with ADD. It helps me understand my kids though. The biggest thing that I have problems with is going to do one thing and getting sidetracked on my way there. I NEVER get anything done!! Wash sits in the washer because I never actually get to the laundry room to switch it over.
I think that's why I zone on the computer. All the shiny lights keep my attention... :)
Following you back form the Blog Hop.
Thanks for linking up!
Tiffany

Debbie March 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

Morela, I experience pangs of anxiety and adrenaline while reading your story, because it's mind too. I never quite know when I'm going to cause the next financial crisis or forget that raw meat has been on the counter all day and the cat got to it. Thank God for good days!

Anja M. April 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

I found you through the “Friday Blog Hop”

I follow you on GFC and Facebook. (Anja M.)

Hope you will follow me back at This and That

Unknown April 1, 2011 at 11:09 PM  

Goodness do I understand. I my own blunders paying bills and won't even go into my forgetfulness. Yep we have had many meals put in the pan put forgot to turn On the stove. *sigh*. I need to buy some ginko! LOL

Thank you for stopping by and following my blog. I am your newest follower. Have a wonderful weekend!

Vickie
http://victoriasvoice44.blogspot.com

Anonymous April 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM  

My son has ADD and I swear I do as well - it sure does make life interesting doesn't it?

Found your blog on the Weekend Gathering Hop at Beauty Brite - WynnieBee is having one today too - hope you have a minute to stop by : D

Following you on GFC :D Hang in there!

Katrina April 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM  

Katrina @ They All Call Me Mom said...
Following you from the Weekend Gathering Hop :) Hello! In our house, my husband earns the money and I pay out all of our bills. I'm the one who looks at the credit card statements, checks our checking account everyday, and pays every single bill, tax, or anything else that comes into the home. I also organize our tax papers each year and get them into our tax guy. My husband's only job is to earn the money. And I like it this way...because then he never sees the credit card statements, so he has no idea what I spend on things. Yet, I see EVERYTHING and can give him crap if he spends too much :) Ha ha. I'm bad, I know....

I am pretty scattered around here...like I start one project without finishing others...I leave my cell phone and my keys in different places all the time, so they are always lost. I forget things and need to write them down. Is this ADD? or...did I just have too many children and my brain is constantly on the "pregnancy brain" mode? Or is it that I'm going crazy living with nine children? or perhaps all of the above?

Have a happy Sunday:)

Sarah April 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

New follower from the I ♥ Blogging hop, thank you for joining our hop! I hope you can stop by www.mooseandtater.com

Chasing Rainbow May 1, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

I've been there...I hate when things like this happen. Happy Sunday. I am a new follower from the Sunday hop.
http://chasingmyrainbowbaby.blogspot.com

Have a great week.

Renee Hand May 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM  

I am returning the follow from the blog hop. Thank you so much for stopping by. I greatly appreciate it. I am glad you got your problem resolved. Have a great day!
Renee
http://thecryptocapersseries.blogspot.com
www.reneeahand.com

Debbie May 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM  

Missing your posts... hope all is well.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Etsy Kids

Like

Blog Archive

Site Info